OSS-TMM: Open Source Software testing maturity model
OSS-TMM (Open Source Software Testing Maturity Model) is a maturity model that supports companies, developers, and final users to assess and improve the testing process of their FLOSS product under consideration.
OSS-TMM simplifies the assessment of the testing process of FLOSS products and it provides a set of guidelines on how to test the FLOSS product under analysis. The assessment is supported by a checklist that users and developers can exploit to identify the main issues and the inherent characteristics of the FLOSS product under analysis and to highlight the testing technologies and methodologies associated with each issue.
FLOSS people can benefit from OSS-TMM in several way:
1) from a software company's point of view, OSS-TMM aims at simplifying the internal process of testing FLOSS products by suggesting a rapid way for identifying a testing plan that best fits the properties and characteristics of the FLOSS product. Also, OSS-TMM simplifies the assessment or certification process of their FLOSS products by comparing their available testing activities and the activities suggested by our guidelines;
2) from the developer's point of view, OSS-TMM aims at simplifying and speeding up the testing activities by guiding developers in selecting testing strategies depending on the characteristics of their FLOSS product. It increases the quality and the trustworthiness perception of the FLOSS by improving the testing activity;
3) from the end-user's point of view, OSS-TMM aims at simplifying and speeding up the selection of a FLOSS product by evaluating the maturity of the testing process as one possible indicator about the whole quality of the product.
Pre-conditions and requirements
There are no special requirements for using OSS-TMM. A basic understanding of FLOSS, testing methodologies and available testing processes is a definite advantage.
- For OSS-TMM Summary: Definition of standard test approaches, test suites, and benchmarks of Open Source Software
- For OSS-TMM details and Experimentation Results: Test suite and benchmarks for the chosen set of Open Source projects and artifacts. Methodology for creating test suites and benchmarks for arbitrary systems
The OSS-TMM checklist, which is the core of the model, can also be downloaded here: here.
The lessons learned, coming from the strong experimentation of the model, show that it is possible to accurately assess the quality of the testing process of FLOSS projects. Please, refer to the available documentation for the specific results. These assessments can be used by FLOSS developers to understand how to improve their testing processes and also by FLOSS users to evaluate the testing maturity of the FLOSS product under analysis.
Maturity Level (1-5)
The maturity of the model would be 4 .
Adjustments in the checklist may be necessary. OSS-TMM will be tuned over-time following suggestions and comments coming from FLOSS stakholders to guarantee an objective and accurate assessment of the testing process of a FLOSS product
- Competence Centres
- Project Identity